Thursday, September 5, 2013

Get Focused, Get A Plan, Let it Happen


Sometimes we just want it too much. If losing weight is the most important thing to you and all you can think about...care less.  Of course eating health, organic, clean foods, exercising and developing your inner life are truly important, but becoming obsessed with what you weigh, what you need to lose, what you look like, can be a dangerous thing.  It’s a no brainer that you want to work towards your goals of being healthier, trimmer, fitter, happier, but usually the more we focus and obsess on something the bigger the problem becomes.
Believe me, I know it's not easy finding that healthy balance of wanting and desiring something, versus becoming a stalker of your own obsessions.
If you want something too desperately, a relationship, a dream job, squeezing into your favorite jeans, or the winning lottery ticket you might find that this desperation can actually keep the very thing you want, the very thing you desire, out of reach. 




A little of my story:

I had about 50 pounds to lose after each one of my 3 pregnancies. It was overwhelming, taking care of a newborn, a toddler, a home, a dog, and then getting back into the working world. I knew I wanted to lose the weight and I wanted to lose it NOW, but I also was aware that it took me 9 months to gain that weight, and to take it off properly I had to be patient. I developed my plan, started exercising, then relaxed and let it happen. Yes, I was focused, but I had no choice but to live each day in the moment. I didn’t have time to get crazy obsessed. Don’t get me wrong, I kept my eye on the prize, but I didn’t beat myself up or throw in the towel if I wasn’t losing the weight as quickly as I would have liked. And guess what? It happened!  I was steadily dropping the extra pounds, eating better, feeling better and living my life.
One of the best ways to care less about something, is to care more about something else.  Find a new interest or hobby (or resurrect an old one.)  Go out and try something different, put yourself in a new circumstance, get the focus off of your body.
Also, when you’re busy with something you enjoy, you’re less likely to be worrying about what you should and shouldn’t be eating.
Take a class, pottery, writing, belly dancing, etc. Go to a local production of a play, a museum, get together with friends and go for a hike. Get out of your head and gain some knowledge on a new subject. I love people who have many interests - they're inspiring to be around, and that’s because what they have to offer comes from within.


Shift your focus, take a deep breath and care less about what you should look like- work realistically and patiently at eating better, greener, healthier foods, drinking plenty of water, stay away from sugar and processed foods and get moving. Let it happen, be in the moment and it will all fall into place.







No comments:

Post a Comment